just when you think the end is near...


I did fall in love with the sweet little neighborhood when I bought my brick house, but I also fell in love with the idea of never painting again (odd coming from a painter, but sometimes I just get tired!).  


Well--I don't have to paint, but I do have to re-point the brick on the river side of the house.  Hmmm....way beyond my skill level.



Along with the brick work, the existing steps are being removed to make way for a lovely porch where I can sit and sip tea as I watch the tankers float by.  I have to say I'm a bit tired of all of this...reno fatigue, I think.


Meanwhile the cherry tree blooms, and a few bright spots of color cheer me.

Speaking of cheer, I came home from the tropics struck by the absence of color in my own living room.  I decided to add some small punches to remind me of all of the beautiful colors I had seen while traveling.


The first thing I did was to add some soft orange tones to the risers of the stairs. Earlier this winter I had painted them various shades of blue.  The addition of some warmer tones was a subtle change, but  makes for a big difference in mood.


The next thing was to hang more art.  The sky paintings are a part of a painting journal I kept while in Tanzania. I completed a quick sky study from the same spot each day. There were many, many sunny days.


I also added one brightly colored pillow to the otherwise softly toned living room.  I  brought in this old bench that had been my grandmothers and painted the base a shiny turquoise.


Replacing the rugs with  natural sea grass adds texture and warmth.





Small vignettes that give me pleasure also add to the feeling of home.


I hope your home gives you the same pleasure (and a lot less work) as my home gives to me.

3 comments:

Cyndie Katz said...

Love the risers. AND, in my opinion, turquoise is ALWAYS the right choice for an accent color. Can't wait to sit on that porch!!!! Miss you!

sara said...

beautiful! wondering your source for the green and white pillows on the couch. love 'em!

Kristl Story said...

What are the names of the paint colors you used on the stair risers? Love the look!

Post a Comment